A Huntsville man who was charging his iPhone in his bed while he slept was nearly electrocuted in a freak accident.
WAAY 31 reports that Wiley Day was treated for second and third- degree burns on his neck and hands.
Day told WAAY 31 that, while he was sleeping his dog tag necklace slipped between the iPhones charger and extension cord, which had loosened. My necklace became the conductor, he told WAAY 31, adding that the force of the massive electric shock jolted him to the floor.
The 32-year-old was able to break the chain from his neck, according to the news report. Doctors told WAAY 31 that Day received about 110 volts, noting that 100 volts is enough to kill someone. “He is lucky to be alive,” said Dr. Benjamin Fail.
This is not the first accident involving a phone charger. Last year a man in the U.K. reportedly died of electrocution while charging his iPhone in the bath. In other incidents, a man in India was electrocuted while listening to music on his charging phone and a woman in Malaysia was electrocuted while speaking on her charging phone, according to news reports.
In 2013 CNN reported that, while smartphone incidents involving electric shocks and electrocution are rare, users should be careful when using substandard, incompatible, and counterfeit chargers.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/